The mission of Huntington West Little League is to promote, develop, supervise and voluntarily assist youth by teaching sportsmanship, building self-esteem, providing service, and advancing the virtues of character, courage and loyalty.
We hope to answer a lot of the questions that people might have about the Board of Directors (BOD). If you don't see your answer here, please feel free to email us and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is Eligible to be on the BOD?
- Any person over the age of 18 who is sincerely interested in furthering the general welfare of Huntington West Little League (HWLL) is invited and encouraged to become a member.
- Unlike many other youth sports organizations, HWLL is run entirely by volunteers. Each year, the members elect a new Board of Directors to administer the league for the coming year. The league needs the board to keep things going, and the way we accomplish that goal is by holding an election. HWLL operates under the guidelines of a Constitution that outlines election procedures.
Is membership limited to one adult per player?
- No. Any adult may become a member, regardless of the number of children his/her family has in the league. In fact, members are not required to have any children in the league- only to be sincerely interested in the welfare of the league
What are my duties as a member?
- The primary duty of a member is to vote for the Board of Directors. Additionally, you may be asked to approve any proposed changes to the league’s Constitution.
I don’t know anything about the Board or how the league works. Am I really qualified to vote?
- Yes. Everyone has participated in the league in some capacity, from serving on the Board to coaching to being a team parent to being a dedicated spectator and chauffeur. The league belongs to all of us, and the board should reflect the wishes and direction of the majority of members.
How will I know who to vote for?
- The election will occur at a meeting of the membership, during which you would have the opportunity to meet the candidates and ask questions if you would like. Of course, the most common way to find out more is to talk to other interested parents at games throughout the season.
Do I have to attend the meeting to vote?
- No. Absentee ballots will be available if requested.
Who runs for the Board?
- Any voting member is eligible to run for the Board. Typically, the candidates are dedicated parents of league players who want to help ensure the league continues to thrive, but other people have served on the Board out of a love of the game and/or the kids in the community even if they don’t have players in the league themselves. Anyone who wishes to be on the ballot this year should fill out the link on the left side of the webpage to go to the online form "BE A BOARD MEMBER" or contact the President, Vice President or League Information Officer.
Does a candidate run for a specific office on the Board?
- No. Board members are not elected to specific positions. When the new term begins in September, the Board members determine who will fill which office.
Does one vote really matter?
- Yes! As in any democratic election, everyone’s opinion is of equal importance, regardless of the level of involvement you may have in the league’s operations.
How do I become a member?
- Everyone who registered their child this year has the opportunity is a voting member of Huntington West Little League.